Friday, January 26, 2007

Happy Convenience Store Lady

I was at a local convenince store the other day-"convenient" means you pay $1.50 for a bottle of Diet Coke because you're too lazy to go to an actual grocery store where that same bottle will cost you 50 cents.

Anyway, as I put my items on the counter I noticed that the clerk seemed unusually happy. She was singing and smiling as she rang up my stuff and I thought "she's either the most grateful person in the country to have this crappy $7.25 per hour job or she's on something I WANT."

After I paid I said "Thank-You."

And she said to me "I Love You."

Swear to God.

It was an awkward moment.

How was I supposed to respond to THAT? Say "I Love You Too???"

Well I don't love her...I don't even know her...and I wasn't about to lead her on that way.

So I just laughed and made a speedy exit. I think I did the right thing, don't you?

9 Comments:

Blogger Tex said...

I think you ought to have reached over and planted a Big Wet One on her lips!

or just started singing "What's Love Got to with it?"

9:05 PM  
Blogger Cake said...

Not that long ago I was having a really bad day at work when a friend called. We had planned to have lunch but I was just too pissy so we postponed...but as I went to hang up with him, I forgot who I was talking to just long enough to say "Yup, talk to you later, love you..."

There was a few seconds of silence...and then snorts of laughter.

It'll be awhile before I live it down...

9:28 PM  
Blogger Bemisdown said...

cake,

The same sort of thing happened to me with my very gay ex recently.

It was either a drop-off or a pick-up with my girls, and he said to me "I love you."

We were all silent for a mortified moment and then cracked up laughing.

I explained to my girls later that I was "Simply Irresistable."

10:22 PM  
Blogger Bemisdown said...

tex,

She's all yours.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Clinky said...

The correct response is:

"Mom! You're embarrasing me!"

1:11 AM  
Blogger Bemisdown said...

Clinky,

Well, I certainly HEAR that enough...might as well use the opportunity to say it.

4:54 PM  
Blogger bostongraf said...

The VAST majority of the emails that I sand are to my fiance. And they all end with 'xoxo'.

I have not sent any of these to my co-workers....yet. Nor have I sent any to my beer drinking sports boddies...yet.

But I worry about that day that I do, and I have to change my name and move to someplace that nobody can pronounce.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Bemisdown said...

I always end my e-mail's to my buddy Carey with "Cuddle Loves & Kisses."

Long Story.

He is now a department head at an expensive private boarding school on Long Island, and I suggested he end all of his official coorespondence with staff, parents, administration etc. with "Cuddle Loves & Kisses."

I'm pretty sure he didn't take my advice because he still has his job.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Bemisdown said...

By The Way.....

I'm having trouble posting because my blogger account is being retarded.

I'M not retarded. Not this time anyway. I'll figure it out. Maybe.

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home